Many have seen Mama Rebecca Lolosoli’s incredible heroic story and in an age where women are taking a stand, this all female run village captivates everyone. The Umoja Village Matriarchs protect young girls from Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), unwanted marriage and dangerously abusive situations in surrounding that have very powerful patriarchal systems.
Beyond the media attention, Samburu is approximately 6-7 hours away from the city so not many tourist come, so they have to walk miles to the nearest kiosk to trade.They no longer keep cattle because they are seen as extremely valuable and often get raided, leaving them little option of income. Internet access and technology literacy needs improving so they can always reach out for help if need be and be more accessible to the world without having to leave their home.
We have been communicating with Mama Rebecca and exchanging visual images of beaded trends to try and demonstrate the fusion international taste in accessories and we are trying to find a distribution channel to ship their products.
- All female run
- Young women may leave at anytime and pursue relationships with men outside the village
- All children are invited in to be educated at their school
- Only enlightened men may enter the village with permission from the matriarchs
- Media is fascinated with their story, that doesn’t serve the community – trade does.
- Samburu is approximately 6-7 hours away from the city so not many tourist come
- They no longer keep cattle because they are seen as extremely valuable and often get raided.
- To produce beautiful beaded products
- Supply them with solar powered internet access that is not intrusive within their community
- Deliver our creative entrepreneurship workshop and digitally led programmes
- Find a distribution partner